The Color of Passion

First Semester is over!  And what better way to end it than with big hurrahs and deafeaning screams from the most popular event in school – INTRAMURALS!  As it has been in the past years, the whole school was assigned 4 teams (inspired by our school logo) – BLUE Flames, GREEN Laurels, RED Hearts, and YELLOW Stars.  The week has been amazing!  I felt so energized seeing children all over the place, playing not only one game, but trying to do as much as they could.  Talk about Quant Je Puis! 
Despite some minor (Thank God!) injuries and drama (referees walking out and ambulance going through the Football Field); and a lot of crying from heart-breaking losses, it was generally such a blessed week.  Thank God for great weather!  Thank you Lord for the organizers, and for the teachers who worked so hard.
One of them is TEACHER CAROL, the once-hesitant team captain of Red Hearts, who now has her passion burning!  Read through as she shares her wonderful Intrams experience…
——————————————————————————————————————-

The color of passion.

At first, I thought it was a joke. I, the certified couch potato and wallflower will handle the red team? It didn’t make sense when I heard Tr. Lulu’s excited voice during the faculty meeting: Tr Carol!

It took time to sink in, and when it did, I was kind of hesitant. For the past three years, I have always been contented to be at the background, doing what my team leader asked me to do. But then, Stonyhurst’s usual words of encouragement rang: No hesitation. I embraced my brand new role as team captain, and everything fell into place. I was lucky to have a reliable co-captain, Tr. Ces – her fresh ideas blended with my old-fashioned ones. I remember her hugging the wall when I told her that I’ll have plain red shirts with black pipings as our uniforms. Her exact words were: “Ambaduymo teacher!” (That’s why I assigned her to conceptualize the muse’s outfit.) Good thing, Ms.Nanie was also there to assist me with the jersey designs. The people on my team seemed to be infected by the intramurals virus. They were more than eager to be of service, they kept asking me what to do, suggesting ways on how they could help. Ms. Ems volunteered for the tarps. She also counseled our muses and escorts. (And of course, the children were more behaved with her around.) Sir Francis coached the basketball and soccer players. Tr. Cards ordered the balloons, Trs. EG and Rhea helped with the cheers, Trs. Queenie, Agnes and Mary with the props. The advisers made sure that the accounts were settled, and they were always there during the practice, with Tr. Ces taking the lead.My teachers didn’t need much supervision; it was as if we moved on one direction. I call that collaboration.

I had some qualms when I went to SISC for the SGEN Pageant on Tuesday. I guess I also felt guilty because of the unfinished business. But then, my conscience echoed – I need to trust my team mates on this. The students were equally supportive. Rhandle organized the basketball practice so they could develop a team play with Sir Francis. Aly provided the music and steps for the lower school in cheer dancing while the other upper school girls helped in choreography.  I call that competence.

I saw the cheer dance for the first time when the students performed on the day itself. It was clean, though admittedly, it needed some polish. My heart swelled with pride. These are my kids and their flaming spirits!

I wasn’t able to watch most of their games as I was in charge of the Lower School Volleyball Games (a duty that I welcomed with open arms even though I wasn’t familiar with the rules and that was the first time I learned about positioning); but every time my eyes would drift toward the red hearts, I could see my teachers supporting our kids. I had my share of heart breaks every time we lose a game –But I do not regret allowing some children to play, even when I was quite certain they will become the liability of the team. The sparkle in Jewel’s eyes when I told her to play volleyball was enough to heal my wounded heart. JR and Aly’s competitive stance was enough to lift me up.

We might not have won the major titles, but I learned that there is more to winning. … the children’s hugs … the laughter and cheers … the pain of losing – it develops resilience … the pressure – it strengthens your character … giving your best in everything you do. I call that passion – its color is red, it resides in the heart.

Let me quote Tr. Ces as she taught Mika this:  “Whether you win or lose, it is still your character that wins.”

Thanks to my SSIS family for allowing me to experience the joys and pains of being a captain!

– TEACHER CAROL HERNANDEZ

3 thoughts on “The Color of Passion

1. This year’s Intramural is (hopefully) my last since I’m a US4 students and it was the B-E-S-T! Stonyhurst really helps a person develop confidence and discover something great that was hiding behind our fear. Thanks you Stonyhurst especially it’s faculty and staff.